Sometimes a cover of a song becomes more famous than the original, like Nothing Compares 2 U which was originally a Prince song or I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton. You can argue that many of these remakes are better than the original!
Other songs on the playlist include:
- I Drove All Night originally sung by Cyndi Lauper but made famous by Celine Dion.
- It’s My Life by No Doubt which was originally released by Talk Talk.
- Respect by Otis Redding, but we all know it thanks to Aretha Franklin.
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was sung by Robert Hazard, but became well-known because of Cyndi Lauper.
- Proud Mary may be one of Tina Turner’s signature tunes but it’s originally by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
- Valerie became a big hit for Amy Winehouse but it was released by The Zutons just one year earlier.
- Don’t Cha by the Pussycat Dolls was released by unknown artist Tori Alamaze who gave up her rights to the song after it underperformed.
- Madonna’s Ray of Light was a cover of Curtiss Maldoon’s Sepheryn.
- Rihanna included a cover of Same Ol’ Mistakes by Tame Impala on her album Anti.
- Adele covered Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan.
- You Got the Love is a 1986 single by The Source featuring Candi Staton, and was also a huge hit for Florence + The Machine.
- Emotion by Destiny’s Child was originally sung my Samantha Sang in 1978.
…and many more!
Were you surprised by any of the songs on this list?
This site is dedicated to fun playlist themes! Have we missed a song that should be included in this playlist? Comment below to let us know — we’ll add it!
Online community builder and avid writer with interests in technology, travel, Nintendo, and fitness.